Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Behavior Management System!

Is your classroom a Bucket Filling Classroom? Do you know what it means to be a Bucket Filler? Come  find out what it is and how I implement it in my classroom from day one. Yes, that’s right, from day one! 

Who created it? Carol McCloud is the amazing author of many Bucket Filler books. She also came up with the Bucket Filler behavior system which so many schools and teachers use today. You can find all of her products by clicking the link under her photo.

What’s its purpose? The purpose of Bucket Fillers is to focus on positive behaviors that a student or group of students display. By focusing on the positive and acknowledging it, students begin to make conscious efforts to be their “best self”. It becomes a part of who they are. 

How I implement it: On the first day of school I have a discussion with my students about how we should treat others and ourselves. The students usually say things like “We should be nice” , “We should take turns” or “We shouldn’t be mean”. I acknowledge their responses and write them on a chart for later references. Next, I read the story Will You Fill My Bucket?. This story introduces students to the idea of Bucket Filling. It helps them to grasp the concept that Bucket Fillers help others feel good and in return they, themselves feel good. 

After reading the story, I challenge the students to be Bucket Fillers from that moment on. I explain to them that each time I see a student or students displaying positive behaviors, using their manners, uplifting other students or adults, working hard, following procedures or simply being their “best self”, I’ll add a pompom to our classroom bucket (small/medium sized bucket with the Bucket Fillers Logo on the front). The bucket stays on my desk and the students can see it at all times. I also explain to them that once the bucket is full, they may choose an incentive (popcorn party, extra p.e. time, sit with a buddy at lunch, show & tell, etc.). They are usually excited and ready to start earning pompoms immediately.

We also discuss what it means to be a Bucket Dipper (being mean to others, making others feel bad, etc.). I don’t display a clip chart because it seems to focus on the negative and embarrass the child. If I see any student displaying inappropriate behavior, I simply talk to that student individually about their behavior and remind them about the characteristics of a Bucket Filler. This usually works. 

Later on in the day I show the YouTube video “Bucket Fillers - Nature Jams - Lyrics Video”. We sing and dance along to the video. Afterwards, the students color a Bucket Filler picture. By this time the students are feeling really confident about being Bucket Fillers. 

Before we dismiss for the day, I read the story Have You Filled a Bucket Today?. This is a time for the students to reflect on their day and acknowledge the positive experiences they had. They are able to discuss how they filled someone else’s bucket, while filling their own. 

Lastly, we add the poster “We Are A Bucket Filling Classroom” to our classroom. As the students dismiss, they each receive a Bucket Filler sticker.  They leave empowered and ready for a GREAT school year! 

I hope you've found this information to be helpful. Maybe you'll consider making your classroom a Bucket Filling Classroom, if you haven't already.


2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this! So purposeful and much needed !!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete